Hernando DeSoto was the first white man to visit what is now Coosa County in north central Alabama. The county was formed in 1832 out of lands ceded by the Creek Indians through the Treaty of Cusseta. The county was named for the Coosa River, which flows through the western part of the county and serves as the boundary between Coosa and Chilton counties.
The town of Goodwater is Coosa County’s largest, but the county seat is in Rockford, 26 miles north of Wetumpka. Originally named Pondalassa by settlers, the town’s name was later changed to Rockford.
The rural county’s population is 34 percent black and 65 percent white. Of all adults over age 25, 53.9 percent have graduated from high school, and 6.3 percent are college graduates. The county has an elementary school, a middle school, and a high school which are centrally located in Hanover.
Hatchet Creek flows from the northeast corner of the county to the southwest corner. Considered by many to be the state’s finest for canoeing, Hatchet Creek is also noted for its beds of the rare Cahaba Lily. Other attractions include the Old Rock Jail in Rockford and Flag Mountain State Park.
Coosa County’s main agricultural products are timber, beef and hay. Others include catfish, horses, vegetables, fruits, nursery plants and corn. Major industries are shelving and cotton yarn.
The county Extension office employs three full-time staff members and eight Regional Agents who specialize in various areas. The Coosa County 4-H program involves approximately 100 youth.