Thursday, August 9th, 2018
8:30am to 3:00pm
Sand Mountain Research and Extension Center
- 8:30-8:45 Registration
- 8:45- 9:30 Mowing, aeration, topdressing, irrigation & drainage
- Proper mowing heights & frequency. Reasons to aerate, equipment to use. Proper topdressing materials and techniques. Irrigation design and schedules.
- 9:30- 10:30 Fertility, Overseeding and transition
- Overview of plant nutrition. Interpreting soil tests. How soil types impact fertilizer needs. Establishing ryegrass and overseed. Herbicides for transitioning out of ryegrass in the spring.
- 10:30- 12:15 Pest Management
- Major pests & control: Fire ants, armyworms, weeds, diseases.
- 12:45-3:00 Tour field
- Equipment, how to take a soil test, maintaining pitcher’s mounds, skinned areas, scouting a field for possible problems.
- Sprayer/Spreader Calibration
Please call the Extension Office by August 1, 2018 to RSVP 256-547-7936
10 recertification points for D&R, OTPC, and OTPS applied for acceptance.