Registration for our 2018 Chick Chain Project is going on now! Registration is $40. See this pamphlet for the registration form.
The 4-H Chick Chain Project teaches young people the recommended management practices for growing and raising chickens. Participation will help you do the following:
• develop poultry management skills
• learn to produce healthy chickens
• develop awareness of business management
• develop record-keeping skills (income and expenses)
• contribute to your home food supply
• realize the pride of accomplishment
Who can Participate?
Any young person ages 9 through 18 as of January 1 of the project year can participate.
What will Participants Do?
After initial registration, you will attend a mandatory meeting on the designated date. You will then receive 10 pullets (female chicks) of two different breeds that you choose on the scheduled pick-up day. You will care for your chickens for approximately 20 weeks. At some point during this time, you must schedule a home visit with us. At the end of the 20 weeks, you will bring 2 of your chickens of the same breed to the Chick Chain Show and Auction on October 6, 2018. You will show your 2 birds and auction them at the end. If you meet all of the requirements, you will receive a full refund of your registration fee ($40).
What are the Requirements?
- Be enrolled in 4HOnline.
- Attend the mandatory meeting and take the pretest.
- Schedule and participate in the home visit.
- Help publicize the Show and Auction by distributing a flyer that will be provided to you.
- Attend and participate in the East Alabama 4-H Chick Chain Show.
- Participate in the 4-H Chick Chain Auction.
- Take the posttest.
- Submit a completed 4-H Chick Chain Record Book.
- Complete the program evaluation.
There are three breeds available to choose from! (You choose two)
Please have the $40 fee along with the registration form to the Tallapoosa County Extension Office no later than March 19, 2018. There will be no late additions, so get it in on time! Make checks payable to ACES.
Tallapoosa County Extension
125 N. Broadnax St., Room 23
Dadeville, AL 36853