Mobile County 4-H is excited to open registration for our 2017 Chick Chain project!
The 4-H Chick Chain project is a wonderful project designed to teach 4-H members management practices for growing and raising chickens. Participation in the 4-H Chick Chain project will help youth …
- Develop poultry management skills
- Learn to produce healthy chickens
- Develop an awareness for business management
- Develop record keeping skills (income and expenses)
- Realize the pride of accomplishment
The Mobile County 4-H Chick Chain project is open to all Mobile County youth ages 9-18. Each child will receive six one day old chicks during the week of May 22, 2017. Participates have many opportunity to learn during the project at monthly learning meetings and additional trainings. On Saturday, October 28, 2017, 4-H members will bring two chicks to the 4-H Chick Chain Show and Auction at the 2017 Greater Gulf State Fair. They will keep the remaining 4 chickens.
- Registration fee is $25 and everyone that participates in the show and sale at the Greater Gulf State Fair will receive a minimum of $25.
All interested youth should…
- Turn in a completed 2017 Chick Chain Registration Form and fee by April 8, 2017 to the Mobile County 4-H Office.
- Attend a mandatory informational meeting with an adult at the Jon Archer Ag Center on May 2, 2017 at 6:00 pm.
This year’s Mobile County project breeds are Buff Orpington, Ameraucana, and Speckled Sussex. You can learn more about these breeds here.
For more information, contact Sarah Butterworth, 4-H Foundation Regional Extension Agent for Mobile County.